What we need
Rooney Family Law (hereinafter referred to as ‘RFL’) will be a “controller” of the personal information that you provide to us either when you instruct us to act on your behalf in any documentation supplied by you to RFL in the effective delivery of our service to you to include information supplied by you through our websites etc.
Individual clients’ personal data:
When you become a client of RFL we will collect, store and use the personal information that you provide to us in your instructions and during the course of our solicitor / client relationship. We may ask you for additional personal information during the course of our client / solicitor relationship, which shall be collected, stored and used in accordance with this privacy notice.
From time to time we may also collect, store and use the personal information relating to you when you become our client from any third party organisation necessary in the effective delivery of our legal service to you which includes, but is not limited to, external credit agencies, third party law firms, the Scottish Legal Aid Board, Scottish Courts Service, the Office of the Public Guardian, Registers of Scotland, First Scottish Search, Miller Co Law Accountants and again any other third party required to assist RFL in the effective delivery of our service to you. At all times you shall be made aware of any third party to whom we diligently and properly supply your data to and request data from.
Why we need your personal information – contractual purposes
We need to collect our clients’ personal information so that we can fully perform our legal service, in accordance with our Terms of Engagement and Terms of Business to/with you. We will use our clients’ personal information to:
- provide you with legal advice and guidance, including by for example, communicating with you by email, letter and/or telephone, etc.;
- represent you as your solicitors in connection with your case;
- respond to and communicate with clients regarding your questions, comments, support needs or complaints, concerns or allegations in relation to your case and any related matter which is connected with your case to include any complaints process etc.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need to collect then this may affect our ability to provide you with the level of legal advice and/or representation would expect from RFL as your solicitors.
RFL employs third party suppliers to provide services including utilising the services of a credit reference agency (www.transunion.co.uk/legal-information/bureau-privacy-notice). Please note these two steps are specifically for setting up identity checks on your Amiqus account through our third party supplier TransUnion. Once you have updated the policy and confirmed by email I can then process required due diligence and send it across to TransUnion, thereafter TransUnion will send over a Docusign to be electronically signed and dated by you.
Why we need your personal information – legitimate purposes
We also process our clients’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- Promote our services by sending clients communications with information for upcoming events and legal updates;
- Invite our clients as guests to our events, including our seminars and corporate events; and
- Any other legitimate interest, acting reasonably at all times, which is within the confines of the supply or your data to us and always in your best interests.
Where we process your personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests, you have the right to object to us using your personal information for the above purposes. If you wish to object to any of the above processing, please contact our Director, Brian Rooney at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01698 815620 or contact us via our website www.rooneyfamilylaw.co.uk. Please note that if we comply with your objection, this may affect our ability to undertake the tasks above for the benefit of you as a client.
Why we need your personal information – legal obligations
We are under a legal obligation to process certain personal information relating to our clients for the purposes of complying with our obligations under:
- the Law Society of Scotland requirements for solicitors under the applicable regulations the legislations;
- Anti-Money Laundering Requirements, Regulations and Legislations.
How long we keep your personal information
We keep our clients’ personal data for the duration of our instructions from you and in any event for as long as the period determined by the Law Society of Scotland, which periods can be adjusted from time to time. We will review and possibly delete your personal information following a period of at least 10 years after you have ceased to be our client, again all in line with current Law Society of Scotland requirements.
We hold a data retention policy that sets out the periods for retaining and reviewing all information that we hold. This sets out different retention periods and you can request a copy by contacting us at email@example.com or 01698 815620.
You can exercise any of the following rights by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to 52 Main Street, Uddingston, G71 7EP.
Your rights in relation to your personal information are:
- you have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a “subject access request”;
- if you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to request that we correct or complete your personal information;
- you have a right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information for specific purposes; and
- if you wish us to delete your personal information, you may request that we do so subject to Law Society of Scotland rules and regulations.
Any requests received by RFL will be considered under applicable data protection legislation. If you remain dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk
Request a call back.
If you would rather we gave you a call back to dicuss your Divorce then please fill in the form and we will get back to you shortly.